Saturday, December 15, 2012

Week 50: Shrinky Gift Tags

Have you ever played with Shrinky-Dink before?  It's one of my favorite things.  Crazy science that I cannot explain but love anyway, like radio waves, and cameras. You can pick up the plastic sheets at the craft store, $6 or so for a pack of 5. Then write on them with permanent marker,  cut them out, use a hole punch if you want to string it on something, and SHRINK!  (Just bake for a few minutes on parchment paper at 250.)
 Don't turn away now, because this all happens in a few minutes, and it's super fun to watch. 

Now starts a series if pictures taken from outside my oven looking in.  Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't want to cook my face. 

I've just put them in, so they look pretty much the same.

A few seconds later they start to rise in the middle...
 And then curl up...
And curl some more...
 You can see how small they're getting as they start to flatten back out.
 Have patience.  Most will get nice and flat again. If they aren't, use fingers to straighten them out (they're not really that hot), and then press flat with an oven mitt (the cookie sheet IS hot).
 See the two ripply ones?  I just straightened them.  A little pressure, and they flattened right out. 
 Unfortunately there were some I couldn't save.
 But the rest turned out pretty cute!

Tie on some ribbon, or twine, if you love it as much as I do. 

And you've got adorable gift tags.  

Maybe even ornaments.


No comments:

Post a Comment