Thursday, August 16, 2012

Week 31: My Husband: the Crafting Superhero

This summer, it seems like all of my friends are getting married. I'm trying to be as helpful as I can, and some friends jump on signing me up to make tons of stuff, while others really don't need any help. When one of my dearest friends, Molika, called 4 days before the wedding with only her second request for help, I agreed before I even knew what she wanted.

Then I asked what she needed help with.  And was very confused.  All I kept hearing was something about "Corn-hole." Really, I  must have a bad connection. There is no way she was asking for "Corn-hole help."  Being from California, I had only ever heard that word used as a foul reference to one's butt.  Eww.

As it turns out, Corn-hole is a real thing in the Mid-West.  A game that involves throwing bean
 bags, (or corn bags) into a hole in a wooden platform. 

Oh. Ok.  You want me to make some bean bags? No problem.  I'm all over it.  I don't even have to go to the fabric store. 

But then there was a problem.  A BIG one:  that night, while attending a friends birthday party, and playing a spontaneous game of hide-and-seek, I laughed so hard I managed to throw my back out.  

I'm getting old people. I spent all night and the rest of the next day writhing in pain. Insanely frequent spasms made talking, moving, laying, and breathing almost impossible.  At 5am I managed to get out of bed to go to the bathroom, and ended up in a sobbing puddle on the floor.  Certain death was just around the corner. 

The next morning, when my AMAZING husband asked me what kind of fabric I thought I might use to make those bean bags, I told him that I didn't think I would be able to make them that day, maybe tomorrow.  

At that point he threw his glasses to the side, and like a speeding bullet his PJs turned into a Lycra jumpsuit, with a big H on the front, with a cape floating behind him.  (I don't know where that guy got a wind machine, but it really had a nice effect.)

"Of course you can't make them, my dear! I will make them! All while bringing you water and food, changing the DVD, and helping you stand when you need to pee. Super Husband!"
So he did, and he made them even more adorable than I would have.  
He used 8 fabrics in 4 color schemes for the fronts (and patch-worked them because he is THAT good).

For the back he used double layers of burlap, because Molika had no color pallet to match, but had used quite a bit of burlap in her decoration. Then he sewed on two color patches so that even if the bags landed upside down the people playing would still know whose was whose.

After filling with beans, he closed them all up with a running stitch. 
Best husband EVER.


As it turns out, Molika and her husband are super crafty.  The kind of crafty where they do amazing things with wood.  Like build a whole wall out of old doors, and an archway out of an old garage door.  They made cocktail tables and even an outdoor sink out of wine barrels and huge spools.  And they even built the Corn-hole platforms.

Which they painted with their silhouettes!  So cute!

Diana and her dad loved the game.  Action shot!

Niece/flower girl, Liv, didn't know the rules apparently.

She still had fun though.

See the doors and part of the archway?  Beautiful.  And those doors extended all the way across the yard.

They really turned their backyard into a magical place...

Not to mention how stunning they looked.

Congratulations Molika and Brandon!  I'm so happy for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment